Diet has a significant impact on our health, as has been more than sufficiently demonstrated. The key to a well-functioning body in the long term is to maintain a healthy and balanced diet. This can have crucial effects, such as influencing the onset or not of certain diseases or our life expectancy.
We receive various nutrients from the food we eat. But, what exactly are nutrients?
Elements of food are called nutrients:
- Carbohydrates: The main purpose of carbohydrates is to supply energy to the body.
- Amino acids: They are essential to create and repair organ tissues.
- Fats: They provide essential fatty acids and energy. There are several types:
- Saturated: They usually come from animals.
- Monounsaturated: Examples are avocados and olive oil.
- Polyunsaturated: Omega 3 and omega 6 are examples of this type.
- Vitamins: Vitamins must be consumed through the diet, as the body is unable to produce them. They perform crucial metabolic tasks.
- Minerals: They are necessary for the metabolism to function properly.
Each food provides us with a more or less large portion of each of these nutrients, together with a normally significant amount of water, which is also crucial for the body.
Foods naturally include nutrients that, when consumed as part of a balanced diet, allow our body to absorb them effectively and maintain our health. In this way, the ideas of food and health are combined in a simple and straightforward way, and from this union a concept is derived: nutraceuticals.
Simply put, a nutraceutical is a product that combines nutrition with a pharmaceutical or therapeutic effect. It is about using the all-natural nutritional and functional properties of foods to offer health-promoting benefits that serve both to prevent and to aid in the treatment of ailments.
Using natural nutrients in a much higher concentration of active components than we can obtain in foods naturally is all that is needed to achieve this goal.
This additional nutritional contribution of nutraceuticals is intended to:
- Assist in the prevention and treatment of disease.
- Improve health.
- Slow down the aging process.
- Prolong life expectancy.
- Support the structure and functionality of the organism.
Biobest Wellness products are intended to complement the diet and not to replace it. It is always important to maintain a balanced diet, even if you sometimes or regularly use nutraceuticals to support certain elements of your health.
Although nutraceuticals may seem like a modern, contemporary product, their fundamental components date back hundreds of years, as various civilizations have used nutrients offered by nature for therapeutic purposes. Thus, foods have been used as medicine for centuries by peoples such as the Indians, Egyptians, Chinese and Sumerians.